- Are Gold and Silver Recognized as Legal Tender? - Almost. With the 2018 passage of House Bill 103, Wyoming is on its way toward treating gold and silver coins and bullion as tender in payment of debt. Wyoming just needs to require state courts to enforce gold and silver clause contracts similar to Oklahoma’s SB 862 and Utah’s HB 157.
- Sales Tax Laws on Gold and Silver - House Bill 103 states that no specie or legal tender should be characterized as personal property subject to taxation, and that no exchange from one type of legal tender to another shall be subject to any tax liability. Specie is defined essentially as coin having gold or silver content; or refined gold and silver bullion which is coined, stamped or imprinted with its weight and purity and valued primarily based on its metal content and not its form." Specie legal tender is defined as "specie coin issued by the United States government at any time; specie coin issued by any foreign government at any time; any other specie that a federal court of competent jurisdiction, by final and unappealable order, rules to be within state authority to make or designate as legal tender.”
- Is Capital Gains Tax Levied on Gold and Silver? - No, as Wyoming does not impose a state income tax on its citizens.
- Do the State’s Laws Allow for a State Bullion Depository? - No.
- Does the State Hold Gold and Silver Reserves? - No.
- Does the State Hold Physical Gold and/or Silver in Government Pension Funds? - No.
Call GSI Exchange Wyoming Operations at 1 (307) 317-1029 For All IRA or 401(k) Rollovers, CD's, Money-Market or Annuity Conversions to Physical Gold or Silver Coins or Bars
For Cash or Smaller Transactions Visit These Vetted-Local Gold and Silver Dealers in WY
Below is a list of local precious metals dealers in Wyoming, including directions to each local shop.
Wyoming Precious Metals
P.O. Box 661
Torrington, WY 82240
Wyoming Precious Metals carries gold, silver, and collectible coins. Their coin selection is primarily focused on 90% silver US coins. Their inventory includes silver bars, Morgan and Peace silver dollars, Gold coins, gold bars, quarters, dimes, and half-dollars. Wyoming Precious Metals believes that every investor should hold a portion of their wealth in precious metals, regardless of the amount they have to invest. As a result, the focus here is on precious metals, rather than collectibility. Note that the Wyoming Precious Metals shop is open by appointment only.
The Coin Shop
510 W. Lincoln Way
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Though they have little internet presence, The Coin Shop is renowned as one of Cheyenne’s top coin dealers. They buy, sell, and trade U.S. and foreign coins, as well as gold and silver bars, American Eagle coins, and other forms of bullion. The Coin Shop specializes in U.S. coins from early to modern. This U.S. Mint authorized dealer also offers appraisals and coin collecting supplies, and buys gold scrap and jewelry. The Coin Shop has served Cheyenne coin collectors for over three decades, making it the area’s oldest coin shop.
C. C. Coins
169 S. Wolcott
Casper, WY 82602
An NGC Authorized dealer, C.C. Coins carries gold, silver, platinum, and rare coins. This small shop has no internet presence, but is known throughout the local area for appraising, buying, and selling U.S. coins. They are particularly well-regarded for their selection of cents, Morgan and Peace silver dollars, and error coins. They also assist collectors with grading submission services and can help collectors build registry sets.
D & J Coins
194 North Main
Sheridan, WY 82801
D & J coins, a PCGS and NGC authorized dealer, buys and sells a wide range of coins. They specialize in ancient coins, colonial and U.S. coins, and bullion. Their selection includes American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs, silver dollars, Engelhard silver bars, and other forms of gold and silver.
Though they have no online presence, D & J Coins– a member of the ANA – is well-regarded throughout the local area. They also provide grading submission services and appraisals and can help collectors building a registry set.
1809 Warren Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82006
A Life Member of the American Numismatic Association, Cheyenne Coins specializes in U.S. coins. They carry certified and raw coins, proof and mint sets, dimes and quarters, and silver dollars, as well as a smaller selection of foreign coins. Many of Cheyenne’s coins can be purchased through their website, though new inventory is added monthly; the complete selection can only be seen in person. Cheyenne Coins also offers gift certificates.
Frontier Coin & Supply
1104 Logan Ave.
Cheyenne, WY 82001
Frontier Coin carries U.S. and world coins and currency, as well as coin collecting supplies. They purchase gold and silver jewelry, bullion, and coin collections. They currently have little internet presence, and are fairly new to Cheyenne, but this small shop is quickly becoming one of the area’s top coin dealers.